Despite the popularity of diamonds, there are some beautiful alternatives for women who want something a little different (or more affordable). Because moissanite looks similar to a diamond, it is an increasingly attractive choice for an engagement ring.
How Do Moissanite Engagement Rings Compare to Diamonds?
One of the first questions many brides-to-be will ask is how moissanite looks when compared to a diamond. It’s important to remember that this is a unique gemstone in its own right and although not a diamond, it does provide the brilliance that can make for a stunning engagement ring.
- Extremely durable and hard.
- Considered to be a “near colorless stone“.
- High refractive index and fire (excellent amount of sparkle and brilliance).
- Ability to be cut the same shape and size of any diamond.
- Both look stunning in high quality settings.
- Incredible heat tolerance.
- Same care and cleaning requirements as diamonds.
- Two totally different and unique jewels, moissanite being made from silicon carbide and diamonds are composed of carbon.
- Moissanite is not always perfectly colorless; it does have potential to have slight green, grey or yellow hues in stones larger than .5 carats.
- It is twice as refractive (brilliant) as a diamond; some notice the “disco ball effect” with the extra sparkle but others indicate it helps conceal minor color variances.
- More durable than a diamond because it lacks the natural fractures of diamonds.
- Approximately 1/3 to 1/4 of the price of a diamond of the same carat weight and cut.
- Being grown in a laboratory, moissanite does not have the natural flaws present in diamonds. However, it does have tiny white ribbons which act as subtle flaws, giving a more diamond-like appearance when compared to flawless cubic zirconia.
Choosing Moissanite Engagement Rings
Because moissanite is often referred to as an affordable alternative to diamonds, it can get confusing for those expecting the exact look of a diamond. However, jewelers will note that a high quality moissanite stone will look superior to a lower quality diamond.
Since not all jewelry stores offer moissanite, it may be slightly more difficult to find it. It is, however, growing in popularity and more stores are beginning to offer at least the classic solitaires or anniversary rings. Below are some of the most reputable and popular stores which carry moissanite jewelry: