A diamond necklace is the perfect gift for any woman at any time in their life. Whether worn alone or paired with a diamond solitaire ring, three stone anniversary ring or bridal set, it makes a stunning addition to every wardrobe from casual-chic to the most formal of attire. Because a diamond necklace is so classic and versatile, it makes the ideal gift. With thousands of styles and prices, there is bound to be something for everyone.
What Kind of Diamond Necklace Should You Choose?
There are several different types of diamond necklaces available, depending on personal preference and where or how it will usually be worn. Here are a few of the most popular styles to get you started:
- Pendants: There are a myriad of styles and designs for pendants, such as unique geometrical shapes, figurines, religious symbols, initials, words. While most diamonds are set in a bezel or channel arrangement, intricate pave designs are becoming increasingly popular (albeit more expensive). A diamond pendant necklace is a perfect gift which can be worn with any type of attire and offers a beautiful way to symbolize or commemorate a special occasion.
- Links or Chains: Gold or sterling silver chains often have diamonds interwoven between the links, providing a beautiful array of sparkling gems. They can have clusters of diamonds between gold sections, patterns, or multiple facets with swirling designs like a chandelier. Diamond necklaces of this variety are often ornate and used in more formal events, but can also be worn in a business situation to add immediate glitz to a more simple outfit.
- Strands: Much like a strand of pearls, a continuous row of diamonds is the hallmark look of a strand of diamonds. Adding glamor and class to any attire, this type of necklace is a classic addition to any wardrobe. Strands of diamonds are generally found in the 14-20 inch range, with the shorter lengths being the most popular. This makes for a perfect anniversary or wedding gift because the continuous row of diamonds symbolizes the continuous, unending love and admiration a couple has for one another.
- Solitaires: One of the most versatile and popular styles of diamond necklaces in jewelry and department stores, a single diamond on a delicate chain is an eye-catching and simple option for many women these days. This style differs from the other diamond necklaces in that the eye’s attention is drawn to one single stone. Any number of shapes and sizes are a possibility, however the most classic options are a round or princess solitaire. This type of necklace is one of the most versatile because it can be worn daily by a mother, working professional, student or even as an addition to intricate formal attire. A diamond solitaire necklace is the perfect birthday, Christmas, Valentine’s Day or anniversary gift.
Diamonds Used in a Diamond Necklace
- The 4 Cs of diamond buying still applies, but fortunately the diamonds on a necklace will not be under the same degree of eye-level scrutiny as a diamond ring. The overall quality should be “eye-clean” (meaning it does not possess visible inclusions). Many diamonds in necklaces are treated to enhance the quality. Be sure to inspect the grading certificate to ensure you do not pay premium price for treated diamonds.
- The overall number and size of diamonds will affect the price and should be chosen according to budget since the larger sizes will add up in price very quickly. Many diamond necklaces utilize tiny diamonds which may not be suitable for diamond engagement rings, but can be equally stunning in clusters, pendants or chandelier designs.
- Colored diamonds are not frequently used in diamond necklaces due to rarity and cost. However, many diamond necklaces uses colored gemstone accents to add visual appeal and interest. Black diamonds are being paired with their white counterparts to create stunning and increasingly popular pieces of jewelry.
The Cost of a Diamond Necklace
There are many things that can influence the price of a diamond necklace, including the metal used, the quality and size (weight) of the diamonds and how intricate the design may be. In order for you to get the most for your money before heading to the jewelry store, it is important to set a budget and stick to it. The amount of gold in the pendant and/or the chain will also influence the price. For instance, one can save substantially by opting for high quality stainless steel settings or chains or high-quality simulants (cubic zirconia) in a 14k gold pendant or setting. Another way to save money is to look for sets during the holiday season, or find a necklace which utilizes tiny, less expensive diamonds in a cluster design to imitate the look of a much larger diamond.
A diamond necklace is one of the most classic and versatile pieces of jewelry for any occasion. With so many options available, there will always be something for every taste, occasion and wardrobe, whether it be a simple diamond studded pendant to the most ornate chandelier designs.