Diamond jewelry are beautiful, long-lasting gifts. Nowadays, among the most popular accessories are pear shaped diamond rings. Every woman would be happy to receive one, especially as an engagement proposition. However, it is true that other things such as pear shaped earrings or necklaces are also a big hit on the gem’s market.
What to Consider Before Purchasing a Pear Shaped Diamond?
This type of diamonds is beautiful because of their unique cutting and shape. Furthermore, this has become a real fashion trend in the jewelry market, in these last couple of years. This kind of diamond is also known by the name of “teardrop” or “pendeloque.”
Usually, a well-crafted pear shaped diamond is a combination of a round and a marquise diamond shapes. While a round diamond is often seen in all the shops, a marquise shaped one is more sophisticated and elegant. Therefore, this hybrid diamond becomes a special gift for a high-class person.
There are some things that you should take into consideration before and during the purchasing of a pear shaped diamond:
- Symmetry. Even though this kind of diamond is asymmetric, when you draw an imaginary line through its horizontal middle, it should have the same length and shape on both sides. If this is not the case when looking at a diamond that you want to buy, its value might decrease significantly.
- Proper sparkle. The pear shaped diamond has a lot of facets because of the way it is cut and rounded. Therefore, it should have plenty of sparkle and light reflection. There is the so-called “bow-tie effect”. You must avoid this when buying a diamond. This effect appears when you can see a darker part shaped like a bowtie, in the middle of the diamond. This shade is considered to be an imperfection.
- Proper size. When buying a pear shaped diamond, be careful to pick one that has a proportional length and width. The ideal length of this type of diamond is usually situated between 1.4 and 1.7 ratios.
- Color aspects. This is a very important thing to consider before purchasing this kind of diamond. It is also a more sensitive subject. Due to its multiple facets and cuts, it is hard to find this type of diamond that has the same color and reflects the same amount of light on all its facets.
- Clarity level. SI1 and SI2 are the best levels of clarity when buying a pear shaped diamond. Having a more complex diamond cut, imperfections are hard to find in this kind of gems. The level of clarity is connected with the bowtie effect described above. If you pay enough attention and avoid it, your buying process should be a safe one.
- The perfect cut. Many of the original cut diamonds available on the market are quite short and too wide. Other might also be too long. A perfect length combined with a perfect cut are things that you will not meet in every jewelry store.
When buying a diamond with an original cut, take a close look at the way it is fixed in the overall jewelry body. To keep it in a good shape as long as possible, it should have a prong for protection, especially at the pointy edge. There is where you will most likely chip it and therefore ruin its beauty.
On the other hand, having these prongs in some parts of its edges makes potential imperfections such as inclusions, invisible to a first glance. However, an imperfection will only damage the entire diamond if it is significantly large, which is very rare.
Why Should You Buy a Pear Shaped Diamond?
- Pear shaped diamonds are not as often met as classic ones. Therefore, wearing this kind of jewelry makes you more original and sets a clear statement.
- Being shaped like this, you can ask your seller to add some extra gems on the sides of the ring or of the accessories. This way, the overall style will be embellished. However, some of you might prefer a simpler look which is considered to be more elegant and stylish.
- This kind of diamond offers a royal flair to your outfit and looks. Moreover, being cut this way, it makes your fingers look longer and slimmer. Moreover, it is very versatile. You can even choose to wear a pear shaped diamond as a centerpiece or embellish another jewelry by adding pear shaped
- This kind of diamond has multiple facets. Therefore, it doesn’t need the same clarity level as other classic shapes.
How Should You Wear a Pear Shaped Diamond?
One of the most frequent asked questions of pear shaped diamond buyers is the correct way in which they should wear them. This is especially the case of those that purchase an engagement ring.
The most common way to wear such a ring is with the pointing tip of the gem facing your nails. This is recommended due to its effect of making the fingers seem longer and also slimmer. However, the real answer to this question is: you can wear it the way you like it.
Some people are even changing the ring up and down, as they please. Go ahead and have fun by alternate the days: one day wear it with the tip facing down; the next day, you can wear it with the pointy edge facing up. It does not matter as long as you are pleased with your acquisition and you like looking at the way it sparkles on your finger.
When looking at a such a beautiful diamond, some characteristics are quite hard to evaluate. For example, details such as color are very subjective matters. Many customers are willing to pay higher prices to purchase a colored pear shaped diamond.
Classifying the clarity level of such a diamond is also quite subjective. Each customer has his/her original way to define clarity. Some clients are not complaining when they discover a small undetectable inclusion. Others will insist on receiving a flawless diamond.
To sum up, a pear shaped diamond is an excellent gift that will last for all eternity. However, you should pay attention to some things when buying it. I hope the guidelines described above will help you easily separate a flawless diamond from a faulty one.