The birthstone of August is sardonyx. It is associated with integrity, self-discipline, and personal joy. Sardonyx is also said to attract luck and promotes a sense of optimism. It is said to enhance willpower and strengthen character while also helping heal the lungs. It can also bring good fortune to the wearer and aid in connecting with others.
The birthstone of August is the original sardonyx. The name comes from its mixture of two chalcedony varieties, onyx, and sard. The former is brown to orange, while the latter is black or white. Sardonyx was used in Roman seals and signet rings and is a common material for carving intaglios and cameos.
What is Sardonyx?
Sardonyx is a stone that varies in color from light yellow-red to reddish-brown, depending on the amount of iron oxide in its composition. Sardonyx gemstones typically have white bands, which visually represent the sard and onyx layers. Necklaces, bracelets, earrings, and rings can be made from this one-of-a-kind gemstone, which can be carved into various shapes ranging from oval beads to hearts.
Sardonyx was first discovered in the ancient Persian city of Sardis, which is now part of Turkey. The stone has an unusual composition, including layers of sard (after the city name Sardis) and onyx, both mineral chalcedony variants.
Sardonyx has been regarded as a valuable and essential gemstone since 2000 B.C. Before going into war, ancient Romans and Greeks wore sardonyx pendants and rings, believing the stones would provide them confidence and protection. Sardonyx is still a sign of power, happiness, and bravery.
Germany, Madagascar, Brazil, Czechoslovakia, the United States, and Uruguay all have sardonyx deposits.
Here are Some Beautiful August Birthstone Sardonyx Jewelry
Dragon Vein Sardonyx 6mm Post Earrings in Black Iron, Steel, Sterling Silver,14K Rose Gold or 14k Gold Wire (Handmade), Birthstone Jewelry, Real Gemstone bead, Birds Nest Stud
- This is a lovely pair of genuine Dragon Vein Sardonyx post earrings, with 6mm round beads tightly wrapped in your choice of wire, caging the outside of the bead and forming the ear prong on the back for a simple and elegant aesthetic. There is a butterfly back included. (The backs of the black iron earrings will be stainless steel.) These one-of-a-kind wrapped earrings would make a lovely Valentine’s Day, birthday, anniversary, Christmas, Mother’s Day, or any other special occasion present. It’s versatile enough to be used as a casual necklace or dress up any expensive evening outfit. Measurements: 0.25″ in length, 0.25″ in width.
- Beads are made with genuine gemstone.
- Hand-wrapped fine metal wire into post earrings
- The following metals are available: Stainless steel, sterling silver, black iron, titanium, 14k gold, 14k rose gold, black niobium, 14k gold, 14k rose gold, 14k gold, 14k rose gold.
Handmade 925 Sterling Silver Red Sardonyx Gemstone Dot Design Ring Jewelry for Women and Men
- 925 Sterling Silver is the metal used in this piece.
- Red Sardonyx Stone is a gemstone. Approximate Size: 20 x 12 MM Approximate Weight: 5.04 Gram Approximate
- Please contact us at the following address: If you have any questions, please post them below the “Product specs” in the “Customer Questions & Answers” section.
925 Sterling Silver Brown Sardonyx Dangle Earrings – 40mm x 18mm
- Gift For Mom; Wife; Mother; Father; Daddy; Daughter; Son; Sister; Brother; Friend; Coworker; Employee; Teacher; Neice or Nephew 925 Sterling Silver GUARANTEED, Authenticated with a 925 Stamp Jewelry Gifts For Women And Gifts For Men Including Gift For Mom; Wife; Mother; Father; Daddy; Daughter; Son; Sister; Brother; Friend; Coworker; Employee; Teacher; Neice or Nephew
- Stocking Stuffers; Christmas Gifts For Christmas, Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Graduation, Birthdays, Weddings, and Anniversaries, Sonia Jewels has the highest quality jewelry gifts for her and him.
- At Sonia Jewels, your satisfaction is our main priority. – 40mm x 18mm 925 Sterling Silver Brown Sardonyx Dangle Earrings.
Dragon Vein Sardonyx 6mm Bead Ring in Stainless Steel- Silver-Bronze-Copper- Black Iron-Titanium-Niobium-14K Gold-14K Rose Gold Hand Hammered Ring Sizes 4-16
- A 6mm, Dragon Vein Sardonyx bead is set in the heart of this lovely hand-hammered and wire-wrapped ring. * The bead is securely fastened. Note: You will receive a ring similar to the one shown. Because this is a mass-produced item, each will be slightly different but finished to look just like the one shown. These rings come in a range of metals and sizes ranging from 4 to 16.
- Metal that has been hammered by hand Genuine 6MM Round Gemstone Bead wire wrapped into ring turned into a ring.
- Bronze and copper can cause skin discoloration due to oxidization when oxygen and the body’s natural oils mix to form a layer of copper carbonate on top of the skin. Apply transparent nail paint to your jewelry and keep it away from water to avoid it.
- Please do not use this piece to shower, bathe, swim, or expose it to water or harsh chemicals. Please use the proper jewelry cleaning for the stone type to clean the metal portion.
Sardonyx 1/2 Sun Wire Pendant- Black Niobium/Silver/Steel/Copper/Bronze/14K Gold, or 14K Rose Gold- Pendant or Bracelet Charm – August Birthstone Red Black Orange Gemstone Jewelry – Sun Moon Necklace
- A genuine 10mm Sardonyx Bead and delicate metal wire are used to create this lovely handmade sunburst pendant. A bead and wire-wrapped sunbursts wrap halfway around these pendants. It’s packaged in tissue and comes with a jewelry card!
- This necklace would make a lovely present. *Note: You will receive a pendant similar to the one shown. Because this is a mass-produced item, each will differ slightly but look identical to the one shown. Measurements: 1.00″ 0.66″.
- 10MM Gemstone Bead Hand Wire Wrapped with Your Choice of Wire Length: 1.00″ Width:66″ Metal wire choices: Antique Copper, Copper, Bronze, Stainless Steel, Black Iron, Sterling Silver, Titanium, Black Niobium, 14K Gold, 14K Rose Gold
What are Some Facts and Buying Information about Sardonyx?
Sardonyx is a semi-precious gemstone with bands of reddish-brown and white. This stone has a banded appearance due to numerous tiny quartz fibers layered one on top of the other in various layers. Typically, the layers range from translucent to opaque.
Sardonyx also comes in various colors, including yellow, brown, white, purple, grey, black, pink, and green, as well as more naturally colored bands.
These gemstones usually have few flaws and are available in more significant sizes. It can be fashioned in various ways, including oval, pear, and round, but the most common and popular design is the shape of the eyes, which is used to highlight the various colored bands.
Many people can afford this gemstone, which has become a popular choice. To improve the overall color and appearance of the gemstone, it might be dyed or stained.
To ensure that you are not misled about the gemstone’s value, pay close attention to the minor features, particularly the improvements. You want to ensure you’re getting a natural sardonyx stone and not simply a cheap imitation.
How to Take Care of Sardonyx?
When handling, cleaning and wearing sardonyx, extra caution is required. The hardness of this August birthstone is merely 6.5-7 on the Mohs scale. Sardonyx is a type of quartz that is frequently colored to make more eye-catching modern jewelry. As a result, you should avoid exposing it to extreme temps, as this may cause the coloring to fade. Because of its sensitivity, warm soapy water is recommended once again.
How to Buy Sardonyx Jewellery?
Sardonyx is a terrific choice for those born in August and looking for a unique alternative to the typical peridot or spinel birthstone. Sardonyx is an affordable addition to anyone’s collection because it is readily available and relatively inexpensive.
Sardonyx quality parameters are less well-defined than other gemstones like diamonds, but the 4Cs still apply color, cut, clarity, and carat weight. Inquire about the best jewels with an American Gem Society jeweler.
The most appealing sardonyx strongly contrasts reddish sard stone layers and white onyx bands. It can be translucent or opaque, and defects or fractures are rare.
Sardonyx is generally available in sizes up to 10 carats and is reasonably priced. Cabochon is the most common cut, but it’s also used in cameos, intaglios, inlays, and brooches to emphasize the contrast between layers.
According to the writings of first-century naturalist Pliny, artificial and counterfeit sardonyx has been made from common chalcedony and plain agate since Roman times. Some gems are dyed with iron oxide pigment or treated with nitric acid to improve color.
Because of these modifications, stones are less valued than real sardonyx; therefore, be wary of imitations when shopping for these jewels. A jeweler who is a member of the American Gem Society can assist you in choosing a genuine sardonyx stone.
What are the Metaphysical Properties of Sardonyx?
Since ancient times, sardonyx has been associated with courage, happiness, and clear communication as a stone of strength and protection. It gives marriages and partnerships long-term satisfaction and stability.
Red and white-banded sardonyx and red bullseye sardonyx have spiritual properties that make them exceptionally potent. Indeed, they are claimed to give one such extraordinary charm that many people advise using them with caution to prevent overwhelming others. They’re supposed to be worn when you need a boost of strength in a specific situation.
The black and white-banded sardonyx derive most of its strength from its link with a specific body type: thin, quick-moving persons who are mentally engaged. Your intelligence, versatility, conversational prowess, and positive outlook may be amplified when you wear black and white-banded sardonyx. You can also use it to assist you in regulating one of those features if it’s causing you problems. Some people believe that planting sardonyx at each corner of their home will keep evil away.
The August birthstone sardonyx has many historical and mystical meanings, depending on the person’s belief system. Ancient Roman soldiers wore sardonyx rings carved with the face of Mars as protection against evil spirits. It has mental solid focus and courage and can also be a good stone for the root chakra. While it is not traditionally associated with this chakra, it does have a great deal of spiritual significance.
Ancient Egyptians called peridot the “gem of the sun” and mined it on the island of Topazios. Due to the harsh conditions and bad names. The finest specimens are stored in museums around the world. It is a beautiful stone to wear for an August birthday, and it’s a great addition to an engagement ring or a birthstone pendant!